[HamWAN PSDR] Baldi deployment report
richark at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 11:40:12 PDT 2020
Were you able to access the Pi for programming the radios?
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 10:04 AM Dylan Ambauen <dylan at ambauen.com> wrote:
> Sounds like a long day Bart. The local LAN has been a dream up there for
> You put the DMR router on the routing protocol now too, great.
> And the old SXT5 link to Baldi sector is gone:
> wlan1.baldi.af7pr-baldi.hamwan.net (220.127.116.11)
> ether1.baldi.af7pr-baldi.hamwan.net (18.104.22.168)
> Mike, Rob, Rod, the local DHCP server for 22.214.171.124/28 was on the link
> Additionally, the switch ports are now bridged to the local LAN. Devices
> should be up, but will have new ip addresses on the Baldi LAN, instead of
> in 126.96.36.199/38
> Bart says the VHF repeater didnt pull a DHCP address from Baldi LAN, it
> was being used as a master for a while, so it's config required a static ip
> address. I put theVHR repeaters switch port8 into the bridge for .33/28,
> now called Building2.
> And vhf.af7pr-baldi.hamwan.net is now back online.
> There is very little necessity in maintaining 188.8.131.52/28 address
> space anymore, there is plenty of space on baldi LAN. Perhaps there are
> some reasons I'm not anticipating?
> We can still use that block, moving the old devices back to how they were
> numbered. Otherwise, we can find the new addresses and update DNS.
> Dylan Ambauen
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 11:59 PM Bart Kus <me at bartk.us> wrote:
>> We deployed stuff @ Baldi today. First, the good news:
>> 1) We installed the cable between the buildings, and got all of them on
>> the gigabit LAN.
>> 2) The 24-port switch for the middle building didn't arrive on time, so
>> we're using the full switch that was there already.
>> 3) We aligned the Beacon.Baldi dish and managed to get another 10dB of
>> signal out of it now that it's focused solely on Beacon.
>> 4) We got access points deployed into all the buildings.
>> 5) We got the link to CampMurray working at last. The 3ft dish was
>> discovered to be damaged and had to be replaced with a 2ft from my
>> personal inventory. This will need an RF Armor shield, and an
>> additional expense report for the Baldi deploy budget to cover the cost
>> of the dish itself.
>> Now for not great news:
>> 1) The Ethernet link between the northernmost building and the new
>> Rattlesnake.Baldi dish seems to be faulty. It was raining hard when we
>> were installing this, so maybe there's water in the connector. It's also
>> deployed pretty close to lots of VHF/UHF antennas, so maybe the RFI is
>> killing the Ethernet. We need to go back on a dry day, hopefully with a
>> cable analyzer, and examine the situation. If it's VHF/UHF RFI, then
>> we'll need to run fiber to the modem. I have disabled the power to the
>> dish for now, on the theory that water is causing PoE arcing at the
>> modem contacts and we don't want that electrolysis process to continue.
>> Power draw to the modem is not unusual, about 3.2W, although it has been
>> observed to be quite variable at times, from 3W to 4W.
>> 2) The AP in the northernmost building appears to have really bad
>> performance. I had a hard time pinging it over WiFi from within the
>> shack. Had to resort to using wired Ethernet to get any packets moving
>> and work done. I've no idea the cause of this. Perhaps a spectrum scan
>> is required.
>> 3) The VHF DMR up there appears to have been static-IP configured and
>> didn't migrate properly. We'll need some follow-up remote work to
>> re-program the repeater for DHCP.
>> I think that's everything noteworthy.
>> PSDR mailing list
>> PSDR at hamwan.org
> PSDR mailing list
> PSDR at hamwan.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the PSDR