[HamWAN PSDR] Baldi deployment report

Dylan Ambauen dylan at ambauen.com
Sun Jun 7 10:04:17 PDT 2020

Sounds like a long day Bart. The local LAN has been a dream up there for

You put the DMR router on the routing protocol now too, great.
And the old SXT5 link to Baldi sector is gone:
wlan1.baldi.af7pr-baldi.hamwan.net (
ether1.baldi.af7pr-baldi.hamwan.net (

Mike, Rob, Rod, the local DHCP server for was on the link
Additionally, the switch ports are now bridged to the local LAN. Devices
should be up, but will have new ip addresses on the Baldi LAN, instead of
Bart says the VHF repeater didnt pull a DHCP address from Baldi LAN, it was
being used as a master for a while, so it's config required a static ip
address. I put theVHR repeaters switch port8 into the bridge for .33/28,
now called Building2.
And vhf.af7pr-baldi.hamwan.net is now back online.
There is very little necessity in maintaining address space
anymore, there is plenty of space on baldi LAN. Perhaps there are some
reasons I'm not anticipating?
We can still use that block, moving the old devices back to how they were
numbered. Otherwise, we can find the new addresses and update DNS.

Dylan Ambauen

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 11:59 PM Bart Kus <me at bartk.us> wrote:

> Hello,
> We deployed stuff @ Baldi today.  First, the good news:
> 1) We installed the cable between the buildings, and got all of them on
> the gigabit LAN.
> 2) The 24-port switch for the middle building didn't arrive on time, so
> we're using the full switch that was there already.
> 3) We aligned the Beacon.Baldi dish and managed to get another 10dB of
> signal out of it now that it's focused solely on Beacon.
> 4) We got access points deployed into all the buildings.
> 5) We got the link to CampMurray working at last.  The 3ft dish was
> discovered to be damaged and had to be replaced with a 2ft from my
> personal inventory.  This will need an RF Armor shield, and an
> additional expense report for the Baldi deploy budget to cover the cost
> of the dish itself.
> Now for not great news:
> 1) The Ethernet link between the northernmost building and the new
> Rattlesnake.Baldi dish seems to be faulty.  It was raining hard when we
> were installing this, so maybe there's water in the connector. It's also
> deployed pretty close to lots of VHF/UHF antennas, so maybe the RFI is
> killing the Ethernet.  We need to go back on a dry day, hopefully with a
> cable analyzer, and examine the situation.  If it's VHF/UHF RFI, then
> we'll need to run fiber to the modem.  I have disabled the power to the
> dish for now, on the theory that water is causing PoE arcing at the
> modem contacts and we don't want that electrolysis process to continue.
> Power draw to the modem is not unusual, about 3.2W, although it has been
> observed to be quite variable at times, from 3W to 4W.
> 2) The AP in the northernmost building appears to have really bad
> performance.  I had a hard time pinging it over WiFi from within the
> shack.  Had to resort to using wired Ethernet to get any packets moving
> and work done.  I've no idea the cause of this.  Perhaps a spectrum scan
> is required.
> 3) The VHF DMR up there appears to have been static-IP configured and
> didn't migrate properly.  We'll need some follow-up remote work to
> re-program the repeater for DHCP.
> I think that's everything noteworthy.
> --Bart
> _______________________________________________
> PSDR mailing list
> PSDR at hamwan.org
> http://mail.hamwan.net/mailman/listinfo/psdr
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.hamwan.net/pipermail/psdr/attachments/20200607/81042922/attachment.html>

More information about the PSDR mailing list