[HamWAN PSDR] CapitolPark <-> QueenAnne link

Dylan Ambauen dylan at ambauen.com
Fri Mar 30 09:59:26 PDT 2018

Wow, Bart.

Let me look back at my ospf ptp configs. I'm no expert, but I recall it was
a process of elimination to find the right settings. Are the ptp neighbors
linking ospf in just one direction?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018, 23:17 Bart Kus <me at bartk.us> wrote:

> After hours of debugging, I got this 20MHz single-polarity link moving up
> to 55Mbit.  A high resolution spectrum analysis on both sides did indeed
> show a better frequency to use for the link.  Spectrum analysis captures
> here:
> https://imgur.com/a/4H7GB
> There was also an IP conflict between two modems @ Capitol Park.  The
> conflicting IP has been removed from CapitolPark-S3.
> The QueenAnne modem used for the link is not one used anywhere else on the
> network.  It's a very low-end modem, and as a result it was having CPU/RAM
> starvation issues when running our regular diagnostic tools, which lead to
> out-of-memory conditions and kernel crashes.  A different test methodology
> had to be used to verify the link speed (testing through the modem, instead
> of to the modem).
> The modem that links QueenAnne with the Westin building (on the QueenAnne
> side) had a mis-configured OSPF router-id.  This was fixed.
> I'm still seeing weird routing decisions being made by OSPF.  These are
> triggered by our point-to-point route entries ( space).
> More research needs to be done here, and perhaps a re-write of how we
> define point-to-point interface addresses.  Any OSPF experts in the house?
> I also discovered R1.QueenAnne was still vulnerable to hacking due to a
> mis-configuration of its control software.  It missed the updates that were
> sent out to the whole network.  This has been fixed now.  R1.QueenAnne also
> didn't have the diagnostic bandwidth-server setup correctly.  This was
> fixed.
> With the CapitolPark-QueenAnne link performing well now:
> [eo at CapitolPark-QueenAnne] /system resource> /tool bandwidth-test
> direction=both
>                 status: running
>               duration: 57s
>             tx-current: 28.0Mbps
>   tx-10-second-average: 28.4Mbps
>       tx-total-average: 27.5Mbps
>             rx-current: 27.6Mbps
>   rx-10-second-average: 28.0Mbps
>       rx-total-average: 27.0Mbps
>           lost-packets: 288
>            random-data: no
>              direction: both
>                tx-size: 1500
>                rx-size: 1500
> its OSPF config has been reset to a normal preference level, so that
> packets no longer try to avoid that link as they are routed through the
> network.  This link can be sped up by upgrading to a dual-polarity modem @
> CapitolPark.
> While testing if the OSPF hop cost was being calculated correctly in the
> Beacon-Haystack-QueenAnne RF link (they both connect to the same dish @
> Haystack), I discovered a mis-config on the Haystack.Beacon modem (bad LAN
> IP binding) which was preventing it from bringing up OSPF on its LAN
> interface.  This was fixed and that modem should act like an actual router
> now, moving traffic.
> During the same Beacon testing, I was reminded that our Baldi-Beacon RF
> link sucks
> <https://monitoring.hamwan.net/cacti/graph.php?action=view&local_graph_id=919&rra_id=all>.
> It was optimized for speed to Tukwila, which is now gone, so a trip needs
> to be scheduled to Baldi to rotate the dish a few degrees north and get
> that link going strong.
> I normally wouldn't send this kind of verbose email to psdr@, but I hope
> it's illuminating as to the type and extent of work required to keep this
> network running well.
> --Bart
> _______________________________________________
> PSDR mailing list
> PSDR at hamwan.org
> http://mail.hamwan.net/mailman/listinfo/psdr
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.hamwan.net/pipermail/psdr/attachments/20180330/4d28517b/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the PSDR mailing list